Mission/Giving Statement: New Mexico Women's Foundation supports organizations and programs that create economic opportunities for New Mexico's women and girls.
Grantmaking Program Areas: Women's Cottage Industries
Grantmaking Program Area Descriptions:
The Economic Development Program seeks to create more abundant lives for New Mexico's women and girls by generating economic opportunities for women through an innovative complement of means and approaches. These approaches strive to transform systemic barriers to economic self-determination for women in New Mexico, and include:
- Grassroots-type grants to nonprofit organizations and programs (especially in underserved, rural areas of New Mexico) that strengthen and support three or more women coming together to develop cottage industries within their local communities.
- Education and mentoring in business and entrepreneurial skills; and
- Distinctive product distribution outlets/educational programs including Rag Rug Festival & Gift Shows, among others
Type of Funding/Funding Restrictions: NMWF funds groups or organizations, including guilds, cooperatives, and/or other community projects, located in New Mexico that help women participate in, and/or develop, cottages industries. Groups must qualify under the 501(c)3 tax-exempt section of the Internal Revenue Code or have a 501(c)3 fiscal agent.
In addition, NMWF requires that an organization show evidence that it:
- Responds to the needs of women by helping them become entrepreneurs.
- Promotes and develops women's leadership abilities.
- Creates programs that allow women to stay in their communities and produce services or products.
- Provides an environment conducive to awakening dormant creativity that exists in most women.
NMWF does not support individuals; campaigns to elect public officials; religious organizations for religious purposes; programs or projects inconsistent with federal, state and local discrimination or ordinances regarding equal employment opportunity; and applications submitted after the stated deadline and hour.
Application Instructions: Grant instructions and deadlines available online.